Thus began Bella's first experience as a backseat driver. As we reached the stop sign at the end of our block I asked Bella, "Which way do you think we should go? This way (left) or that way (right)?"
"THIS WAY!" she shouted, waving her hand to the left. Off we went, deeper into our neighborhood. We were early, so taking the long way was no problem. At every stop sign I would give Bella the option and at every stop she would shout "THIS WAY!" or "THAT WAY!" After the first few stops she would give directions without me prompting her.
Once we finally made our way to the main streets I knew her chance to make these crucial navigational decisions would disappear, so when we came to the first stop light I asked her what color it was: "RED!"
"That's right!" I said, "Now, we can't go until it turns green. Can you tell me when it turns green? Shout 'green! green!'
"GEEN! GEEN!" she shouted.
"No, wait until it turns green, and then tell me."
The light changed and my little sweetie cried out "GEEN! GEEN!".
"Very good!" I said, and we were off. As we cruised I would ask at each stop light "Will you tell me when it turns green?"
"uh-huhh."
Eventually she didn't bother with "geen" and just began shouting "GO!"
And so, with help from my little navigator we made it to school at our regular time. As I helped her out of the car she spotted a Ritter Raider mascot on the side of a school van and shouted "Pirate!". So we walked over to the fence and she yelled "Hello pirate! Arggh!"
Finally, when I made it into my classroom after dropping the Boo off this photo was on my desk with a note from one of my students who volunteers at the daycare. It was taken just before Christmas Break. Thanks, Erica.
Have a great spring day, everyone!
the Papa.

No comments:
Post a Comment